Geomodular Block is becoming a preferred method for vegetated MSE wall construction
Although Flex MSE is unique in the market for Geomodular Block and Interlocking Plate systems, other Geomodular systems exist which use a similar bag style with and without some sort of superfluous reinforcement.
Flex MSE prides itself on having the strongest Geomodular system on the market – our testing and engineering is second to none.
Here are a few ways that Flex MSE excels over other systems:
- Flex MSE GTX bags are made from high molecular weight UV stabilized materials manufactured under the strictest quality controls.
- Flex MSE Interlocking Plates are made from 100% recycled post-industrial PP, qualifying it for recycled materials credits under LEED.
- Flex MSE GTX Bags have a face measurement value of 1 sq ft (0.09 m2), making it easy to estimate and specify.
- Flex MSE employs a single rectangular Plate with 11 points of contact, frictional teeth, and built in geogrid hooks.
- The Flex MSE system creates greater Bag to Bag, and Bag to Geogrid connection and Shear Strength versus other systems (which employ single or no point of mechanical contact).
- Unlike other Geomodular systems, Flex MSE does not require additional labour intensive proprietary tie back methods beyond standard geogrid intervals.
Bag Fill Material:
- Less robust systems allow for as much as 12% Organic Matter in Engineered walls, opening up possibilities for wall deformation, bag compression, and drainage issues.
- Flex MSE has less organic matter, allowing for greater compaction, long term stability, and superior percolation at the wall face while maintaining a beautiful vegetated aesthetic.
- Some systems specify the use of their own proprietary amendments.
- Flex MSE pre-filled unit soils are tested to ensure adequate nutritional content to sustain the specified vegetation, but no proprietary amendment is required.
- Other systems aren’t as careful with bag seam orientations allowing for both seam-in and seam-out installations. Seam out exposes the Bag’s main point of mechanical failure. Although the thread may be UV stabilized, the long term viability of exposed thread is a major concern.
- Flex MSE units, with the exception of tie-back units, are all installed with seams in.
- Lesser systems specify Cinching and/or Tying of proprietary grid strip throughout and over bags in their installations potentially creating a slip surface with Grid on Grid application.
- Flex MSE creates structures over 10m in height with no labour intensive grid weaving methods.
- Flex MSE is also one of the few systems which permit the insertion of plant plugs directly into the bag face. Flex MSE permits the insertion of up to 3 plant plugs in each Bag in above water applications, allowing for greater vegetation coverage and planting variety.
Flex MSE System Precedence and Approvals:
Flex MSE is on two Canadian provincial Transportation Authorities, with another major one pending. Flex MSE and Trexiana provide a 120 year Design Life Longevity Statement.
Flex MSE retaining wall and roadway installations have been designed and installed in installations up to 11m (36ft) in height.
As brands there may be similarities between Flex MSE and other systems. From a design history and approvals standpoint, there is no comparison. As Flex MSE’s Manufacturer, Trexiana offers a full suite of project support services to its clients, addressing each project’s unique needs and goals.
The successful design history and precedence of Trexiana’s technology, Best Practices, and service offerings to clients are factors that position it squarely at the forefront of geomodular building systems.
If you’re interested in learning more about the engineering behind Flex MSE, please feel free to contact us.